воскресенье, 26 февраля 2012 г.

StewartAEs out to Cink poor form in title tilt.

STEWART CINK may be remembered as the biggest villain in Open history, but the defending champion insists he doesn't care if he ruined a great story last summer.

The American bunkered the hopes of compatriot Tom Watson in a four-hole play-off at Turnberry 12 months ago after the-then 59-year-old legend had missed an eight-foot putt to win outright at the 72nd hole.

Watson was looking to add a sixth Open title to an already incredible career, but Cink prospered and now admits his experienced opponent's achievements mean he shouldn't worry about ripping up the script last time out.

"I don't feel sorry for him because he got five Claret Jug titles and I only have one," Cink said. "I understand the situation and it totally makes sense but in no way has it taken anything off what I felt last year.

"The joy I've been able to have the past year being the Open champion has been almost indescribable.

"Do I feel like my name matches up to everyone on that list [of Open winners]? No way. I'm not going to be Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods. Those guys are the best ever that have played.

"But am I worthy to be on the Claret Jug? Yes, because I played as well as I played for 72 holes last year at Turnberry and when it counted I was able to come through and polish it off."

Just to show once again that there were no hard feelings between the two rivals, Watson made sure they got together to play a practice round over the Old Course on Tuesday.

The triumph at Turnberry was a big breakthrough for Cink, who previously had been seen as an excellent shotmaker but not capable of challenging the big boys on the grandest stage.

Cink has not won since his triumph at Turnberry and he has endured a miserable run of late, with only a tie for eighth at the Memorial resembling anything like the form of a Major champion.

However, that was where he was at this stage last year and the 37-year-old is not unduly worried about his lack of confidence coming into St Andrews.

"This year hasn't really been a good year for results on the course," he said. "I seem to have got worse before I started to get better.

But lately I've been playing a little better and seeing more of a spark in my game, and you know, it's very similar to last year where I really had nothing going at all until, boom, Turnberry!

"I'm hoping this year we can say, 'Boom, St Andrews!''

Meanwhile, if Watson went one better on the Old Course he'd join Harry Vardon on six Open crowns.

But the 60-year-old played down expectations of a similar run to last year.

"I wish I was playing as well as I was last year coming in here," Watson said. "I'm putting well, but I'm not striking the ball that well, so that concerns me, especially in the wind."

2009 Al Sidra Media LLC

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий